Thursday, August 26, 2010

The One With The Cookie Dough

Wow, going back to work is harder than I think it should be...I am exhausted and so are the 1st graders - just ask the boy in my class who comes back from lunch and sucks his thumb everyday (true story)! But even with all the stress of a new school year, there's still time for cupcakes!

Over the summer I watched A LOT of cupcake shows and I noticed that all of the good ones (cupcakes, not shows) seem to be filled with something (fruit, cream, etc...). Also, from my extensive research eating cupcakes this summer, I noticed that some of the best cupcakes seem to be filled with cookie dough. The ones I liked best were from Mollys, but my sister and I thought we might be able to re-create them. Here's what happened...

After baking the cupcakes, (I used Magnolia's Recipe except with fair trade sugar - see Aimee's Blog for more info on that - and whole wheat white flour), the next step was finding a cookie dough recipe made without eggs so it would be safe to eat. (I don't mind eating it with the eggs, but I guess better safe than sorry if you're baking to share). The one I found uses milk instead of eggs. It looks just like regular cookie dough and tastes just as good.

The tricky part is getting the cookie dough inside the cupcakes. On all the shows, they have fancy pastry bags or coring tools to make a hole in the cupcake. I have this...

 

I don't even know what the orange plastic thingie is, but it works pretty well for getting the hole started. Then to make it bigger (to fit more cookie dough!), I use the knife to dig out more of the cake until it looks like this...


Then I just shove the cookie dough down in there. The more, the better, until it's kind of overflowing out of the top, like this...

The last step is making it look pretty. I made some vanilla buttercream frosting and some mini chocolate chip cookies to go on top. I guess you could use your leftover cookie dough to make the cookies, but I took the easy way out and bought break and bake dough! Here's the finished product...


Aimee just ordered a whole bunch of them (I know, I'm like a real baker now, taking orders!), so you can ask her how they taste!



Stay tuned for cookie dough cake balls made with the leftover cookie dough and cake crumbs from this project...

2 comments:

Megan said...

Those look SO good!!!

Unknown said...

Yumm, those look great. A little bit ago someone gave me a recipe for this same thing only I put the cookie dough in the middle before baking them and the cookie dough doesn't bake so it stays warm and gooey (if you don't over bake it like I do.) I'll have to try this one.