Monday, November 28, 2011

Bakery Buzz: Bleeding Heart Bakery

Confession: I have been wanting to go to the Bleeding Heart Bakery in Oak Park for quite a while. It's a pretty tiny bakery in Oak Park. They have kind of a punk/edgy (for a bakery) vibe going on and use a lot of local and organic ingredients. They sell (among other things) lots of gourmet cakeballs.




Then a few things all worked out to make my bakery visiting dream come true:
  1. I purchased a Groupon for 1 dozen cakeballs.
  2. My brother-in-law got a job at a church in Oak Park.
  3. I went to church with my sister at that church in Oak Park.
  4. We went to the Bleeding Heart Bakery after church.
We got there and spent a lot of time examining the flavors available that day:
  • Pumpkin
  • Vanilla
  • French Toast
  • Chocolate Peanut
  • Oaxaca (Spicy Chocolate) 
Hmm...How would we ever decide which ones to taste? Oh that's right, we had a Groupon for 12...we could try them all!

Well...just as we were about to purchase our dozen cakeballs, we were told that they weren't accepting Groupons that day. They just didn't have enough cakeballs. So even though between the 4 of us there, we bought 11 or 12 cakeballs, we couldn't use the Groupon! Ahhh...super frustrating.


But, I did enjoy my cakeball {Oaxaca - and they weren't kidding when they said it was spicy!} and this just means I have to go back another time to use my Groupon. I think I'll try the one in Elmhurst next time - it's a little bigger and maybe they will have enough cakeballs to let me use my Groupon!


If you want to get your punk rock pastry on, visit Bleeding Heart at
1010 North Blvd. Oak Park, IL 60301

Maybe call first to see if they have enough cakeballs: 708.358.0559

No comments: