Sunday, September 26, 2010

The One Where I Make Myself Feel Better

On Thursday morning, one of my students walked into the classroom and announced "I'm mad at you, Miss Granzow". And while I don't particularly care if a 6 year old is mad at me, I thought I should be a little nice to myself to counteract the mean-ness! So I decided to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies, eat some (or a lot) of the dough, and eat the cookies all weekend long (I may or may not have even eaten some for breakfast today.)

Since the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies from before turned out so great, I wanted to make the same recipe using my fair trade chocolate chips.


Insted of using the same recipe though, I found this one that promised soft, chewy, giant cookies like the kind you get at a bakery. I was imagining the kind they have at Noodles or Potbelly - SO GOOD! I followed all of the recipe super carefully, including melting the butter and using lots of brown sugar. So the dough turned out looking way darker than usual. (But it still tasted pretty good. Although to tell you the truth, this might have been the only time I liked the cookies more than the dough.)



Next, I tried to make the giant cookies. The recipe said to roll 1/4 cup of the dough into a ball, then break it apart and stick it back together so that the tops turn out jagged instead of smooth. So I did that, and expected the cookies to spread out as they baked and turn into giant, chewy, tasty cookies worthy of a bakery. Instead, they turned out like this...

...Turns out they did not spread out. Instead, they stayed in the ball shape and stayed tall. I think they look a little like rocks, but the tops did turn out jagged, and they did taste good.

So for the next batch, I rolled them into a ball and then smooshed them down flat to spread them out more. They turned out like this...


I think they look better this way, but they still aren't the giant, bakery cookies I was imagining. Maybe I should have used more dough for each cookie? I think they might also be good with that big, sparkly sugar on top. (Maybe next time.)

Anyway, you'll be happy to know that eating the cookie dough (and most of the cookies) did make me feel more cheerful, and by the time I went to school the next day, I was getting big hugs from the same student that was so mad at me the day before!

No comments: