Saturday, November 13, 2010

The One with the Scones

I know most of you just read the title and pronounced "scones" like it rhymes with cones. Allow me to instruct you on the correct pronunciation: It's really "scones" like it rhymes with cons (like a con artist). How do I know this, you might ask? From spending time in the "Mother Country" (AKA Scotland), where my Great Auntie Grace and Uncle Bill owned a book shop/tea room and sold scones for many years. So now that you know, feel free to instruct others. (Just continue calling them scones, rhymes with cones, at Starbucks otherwise they look at you like you're crazy.)

Anyway, my mom's work has been CRAZY lately, so I thought they deserved a special treat. I decided to whip up a batch of "Sara's Scones" for her to share. This recipe is from a friend of my aunt. Her sister, Sara, came up with the recipe. It is such a simple recipe, but also really tasty. Everytime I make these, they are a hit! So here's the basic recipe...
  • 3 c. flour (I use whole wheat white flour and I actually use a little less than 3 cups or it's too crumbly)
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. filler: cinnamon chips, craisins, blueberries, etc... (I like to use cinnamon chips, buy them at Mejer)
  • 2 c. heavy cream (save a little for brushing on top)
  • Extra sugar for sprinkling on top
1. Mix the dry ingredients with whatever filler you choose. I actually like to use a little more than 1/2 a cup, FYI. Then add the cream. It will be a little crumbly, like this...

2. Split the dough into 2 balls and use a little flour to form each half into a ball. Then just kind of smoosh it down onto the counter so that it is a flat circle, like this...

3. There are 2 options for scone shapes: triangles or circles. In the Mother Country, scones are mostly circles, but around here they seem to be mostly rectangle. To make rectangles, cut the circle into 8 triangles (you can also cut those triangles in half for mini scones).

3a. To make circles, I use these great circle cutters I bought in Scotland. I love them for so many reasons: the fun color, the great handles, the crinkle edges...


4. Once they are cut, put them on a cookie sheet or pizza stone, and brush them with the leftover cream. I don't actually have a brush, so I just dump a little on with a spoon and kind of smear it around. Then sprinkle some sugar on top of each one. I like to use what I call "Big Sugar".

5. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes (make sure to check on them for browning early).

They come out looking good, no matter what shape they were when they went in!

Grab yourself some tea, and go enjoy your scones (and make sure you pronounce it correctly!)

No comments: