Monday, January 17, 2011

The One Where I Make Banana Pancakes

You know that Jack Johnson song about banana pancakes? 

Makin' banana panckes/Pretend like it's the weekend/Ain't no need to go outside

Well, since this is the view out my window today:
And it is still the weekend (thank you, Martin Luther King, Jr.), today seemed like the perfect day to make some.

I can't remember where I got this recipe, but I make it a lot and it's super easy and super tasty.

You will need:
  • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I use whole wheat white flour from Trader Joe's)
  • 1/4 c. white flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 Tbs. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 Tbs. melted butter
  • 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips (optional)
  • 1 sliced banana for garnish (optional)
1. Combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and cinammon.

2. In a separate bowl (I usually use a big measuring cup so I don't have to wash another bowl), whisk the butter, egg, and buttermilk.

3. Mash the banana and add it, with the wet ingredients, to the dry mixture. Mix together until just combined. Add chocolate chips if you want.

4. To make the pancakes on the stove, either ladle out as much batter as you want for each pancake, or use this amazing invention (if you are lucky enough to have gotten one from your grandparents for Christmas):
This handy little guy lets you squirt out as much or as little pancake batter at a time as you want. All you do is fill it up, like so:

Then press the handle at the side to open up a little hole at the bottom and let the batter out, like this:

It also saves a lot of mess, since usually I scoop out the batter with a measuring cup and get batter all over the counter.

I wasn't sure if the chocolate chips would fit out the bottom or not, so I just sprinkled them on top after the pancakes started cooking:


The batter is pretty thick, so it kind of glopped out the bottom and made some rather misshapen pancakes, but they still turned out yummy! The recipe makes about 10-12 medium sized pancakes.

5. Add the sliced banana (I used up all my bananas in the pancakes). Syrup and butter are optional, especially since the chocolate chips make them so sweet already.

You still have time to make some today...maybe for dinner?

No comments: