Saturday, January 15, 2011

The One With My Favorite Things: Baking Edition

If you've spent some time with me, you know that I can become a little bit obsessed with different things. I thought I'd share some of my current favorite baking obsessions...

1. Aprons: Something about wearing an apron makes me feel very domestic, like a real baker, even if I'm just making slice and bake cookies! I have 2 aprons that I love - a little half apron from the flea market and a full size apron from anthropologie. I've also got my eye on this cute turquoise one from anthropologie (love all their aprons!)


2. Bowls: I have been obsessed with bowls for quite a while. My favorite ones for baking are from Crate & Barrel. I love the set of five mixing bowls. I have the older set, without all of the ridges. I use them so much that the biggest one cracked and had to be thrown away. I searched everywhere for a replacement: on-line, at the outlet store. Finally, after I stopped looking, I found this yellow matching bowl at T.J. Maxx for $5 - it was such a happy day!

3. Measuring Cups and Spoons: I have 2 of the cutest sets I have ever seen (both from anthropologie). I think the actual measurements might be a little off, but they're so cute that I just can't help using them!

4. Fair Trade Ingredients: Fair trade just means that the people working to make these things are treated fairly and paid fair wages. They are more expensive, but "someone's gotta pay!" So far I've bought fair trade sugars - white, brown, and powdered, and fair trade chocolate chips and baking cocoa from Whole Foods. My next step is fair trade vanilla.


5. Pandora Radio: Technically this isn't a baking necessity, but I like listening to some tunes while I bake. If you haven't tried Pandora, check it out here. All you do is put in an artist or song you like, and they play a bunch of great songs that are similar. It's a great way to discover new music, and it's free! Depending on my mood, these are some of my favorite "stations": She & Him, City and Colour, and (no mocking) Taylor Swift.   

Those are my current favorites...Any ideas to add to my list?

No comments: