Saturday, December 18, 2010

The One with Christmas Break!

It's FINALLY Christmas break, and I am sitting at home with a bad cold, so it's a good time to catch up on blogging about Christmas treats (while also watching a lot of TV!) Since my new favorite thing seems to be mini candy canes (see the Christmas cake balls), I decided to try making peppermint almond bark. They have a really good kind at Cost-co that has white and milk chocolate so I thought maybe I could make the same kind at home. It turned out to be really easy...

Ingredients:
  • 1 package white chocolate almond bark
  • 1 package milk chocolate almond bark
  • about 30 crushed mini candy canes
Step 1: Melt the package of chocolate almond bark. Pour it onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. The good thing about this layer is that it doesn't really matter how smooth it is because it will be covered with the white chocolate layer.


Step 2: Wait for the milk chocolate layer to harden, then melt the package of white chocolate and pour it over the top. The bottom layer might start to melt a little, so be careful not to mix them together. While the white chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top.

Step 3: Let it all harden, then cut it into small pieces.


It looks really pretty, but here are a few things I might try differently next time...
  • When I started cutting the bark, the candy canes fell off a little bit, so I thought next time, smoosh the candy canes down into the white chocolate to make them stick better OR mix the candy canes into the white chocolate before spreading it over the milk chocolate, then maybe sprinkle some extras on top.
  • The mint flavor was not very strong. Next time, I might try mixing some mint extract into the milk chocolate layer.
  • Someone also suggested adding pretzels to the chocolate layer, which sounded good to me!
Any other suggestions?

No comments: