Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

It's Fall! That means the return of my favorite drink, "Fall in a Cup", aka Pumpkin Spice Latte, and other pumpkin treats, like these pumpkin muffins with spiced cream cheese frosting.


Somehow even after the slightly disastrous chocolate cherry brownies, I decided to try another recipe using a mix and a can of fruit filling. Why? I don't know, maybe because it's a super easy way to bake and I was feeling lazy. Or maybe because I just wanted something pumpkin-y to celebrate fall and this is what I thought of first.

This recipe included a box of vanilla cake mix and a can of pumpkin. I also added in a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to get the pumpkin pie flavor.


I guess I should have learned from my last attempt with fruit filling (is pumpkin a fruit?), because these muffins didn't turn out exactly as planned either. When I took them out of the oven, the tops were very jagged and had little peaks, like mountains. They tasted pretty great, super moist and pumpkin-y, but they looked pretty bad.


To hide the mountain peaks, I decided they needed a little frosting. I whipped up a little batch of my favorite spiced cream cheese frosting, and globbed it on with a spoon. Since the muffins weren't flat, the frosting wouldn't be smooth either, so the globbing technique worked out pretty well!




Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting:

Blend together the following ingredients...

8 oz. cream cheese (softened), 1/4 cup butter (softened), 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Hope you're all enjoying fall and pumpkin treats as much as I am!

No comments: